There is a saying about not judging a book by its cover. There is a lot of truth in that and often times a cover or outward appearance reflects content.
What about people? Over the last few weeks and months we have been labeling people as black, white, brown and even blue. We tend to separate ourselves into races and pit ourselves against one another based on skin color. Wouldn’t it be nice if we saw ourselves as God sees us. As a human race! We are human beings with various levels of skin pigmentation. Young children are color blind. Why can’t we be?
This is where God looks at the heart. Regardless of outward appearance it is the heart of a man that determines his actions and reactions!
In 1 Samuel 16 :7, the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or his stature, because I have rejected him. Man does not see what the Lords sees, for man sees what is visible, but the Lord see the heart.”
How can we see people as God see them?
- Reject racism on all levels. We are the human race. God created each of us in His own image.
- Search for the intentions behind the actions. Try to understand another point of view.
- Love people. Start with love and go from there. Give another an opportunity to prove him or her self.
What does outward appearance tell us about a person inwardly?
- Sometimes it tells us a lot. We express ourselves outwardly how we think of ourselves.
- Sometimes it tell us very little. We can preconceived ideas of what certain things clothing style, tattoos etc mean. Perhaps there are other aspects of a person we need to discover.
- Sometimes actions speak volumes. We can’t ignore another’s actions especially if they convey a sense of danger or concern.
God looks at the heart of man. In the passage cited, the prophet Samuel was looking for a man who would be perceived as a leader among the people by his outward appearance. God reminds Samuel and us, that He is looking for “right hearts”. True righteousness is offered by God to all who will receive Him into their hearts!
How does the Lord see your heart? How do others see your heart?